Search This Blog

Friday, November 12, 2010

Love @ Work Always Perseveres

“Love always perseveres” according to 1 Corinthians 13:7. How do I square that with having just today laid off half our staff? Wouldn’t love have found a way? We’ve tried, but it’s not quite that simple.

We’ve been struggling (as I’ve recounted in other posts) for more than three years to survive through the economic downturn that hit our commercial mortgage lending business so hard. Despite our best efforts, and some heroic financial and legal sacrifice by the company’s owner, our cash issues have become greater and greater.

Despite having already reduced in staff substantially (releasing contractors, not replacing people who leave, and some prior lay-offs) we are still unable to make our payroll beyond this month. Therefore we have had to tell six of our eleven staff that they are being laid off or (in a couple of cases) must work radically reduced hours. Each is a person I have sought to show love to, and each is a person for whom I have genuine appreciation, value and honor. Each is seriously impacted by these changes and we feel as though we have let them down.

Have we given up on them by laying them off? How far does this “love always perseveres” go in the workplace? A dictionary definition of perseverance is “steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.” Thomas Aquinas qualified this though, defining perseverance as “the long persistence in any kind of difficult good.” From a Biblical perspective the “good” is an important element.

Would it be good, for example, if we were blind to our inability to make payroll in December without this action, and ended up with nothing for anybody at the end of the month and the need to close our doors completely in January? I don’t think so. “Good” in the Biblical context includes a consideration of the good of the community, and it also considers far more than material well-being.

I do know that it would not be loving perseverance for me to hand out severance notices and say goodbye, without another thought for our employees’ welfare. Some things are straightforward – each impacted employee needs to know they have my support in their job search, as a reference, reviewing resumes, talking over opportunities, and in any personal way in which I can help. There are practical limits obviously. But above all, though perhaps not so easy, perseverance doesn’t stop loving just because circumstances change. It is implied in the string of “always” statements in 1 Corinthians 13:7 – love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. In our prayers, our encouragement, our availability, our belief in our staff, even if things don’t go well for the business, we show a persevering love.

We cannot give up seeking the good of our work community (including clients, investors, etc). We cannot give up seeking the good of our employees who have to be laid off – offering hope and support and prayer for them in any way within our power. Pray for me that I may show a group of struggling but wonderful people a persevering love.

4 comments:

  1. Graham- THis must have been a difficult post to write. I admire your transparency and courage here.

    You're absolutely right about the greater good including the stewardship of the business - it's not about employing certain people, it's about turning a profit in order to keep going, and then having the ability to give back to the community from those profits. But if you have no profits, you have no payroll, and the business doesn't contribute to anyone. But it's never easy to face up to difficult economics, and I have a feeling you handled it with love and compassion. Which gets to your point - you are perservering in love in managing this business. I will say a prayer for you, and your business, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graham, in addition to your ideas about the greater good, I was especially interested in the idea that "perseverance doesn’t stop loving just because circumstances change." That's perhaps the hardest thing of all in this. How can we give ourselves permission to love someone when we had to let them go? How can we expect them to want to continue a relationship with us at all? And yet, if we think about it, I imagine everyone would want to leave on good terms if given the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bradley thanks for your encouragement. While the "greater good" argument is valid and important, I do think we have to be careful not to rationalize our decisions - I'm not second-guessing what we've just done, but it is a delicate balance.

    Marcus, your point about leaving on good terms is very well made. On this occasion, I think it is happening (and I'm in a position to help a couple of people with finding another job, for example, and they are in their turn being very responsible in turning over smoothly, etc. That hasn't always been my experience though - I've had very angry people who feel betrayed or badly treated. Continuing to love when the invective is flying can be a challenge! But again that's part of what's involved with a love that always perseveres.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Graham, the photo caught me first; I used it myself on a post about layoffs at my company. Ones which involved my own position.

    I don't fault my company for its decisions. Leadership and commitment take on many forms and as you so wisely point out, continuing to operate as you had been, with a larger staff, would mean being unable to do anything for anyone.

    But there is a way to make these hard decisions, to carry them out and to communicate them, in a way that loves. It seems as though you are doing just that. God bless you as you persevere.

    An excellent choice to highlight at THC.

    ReplyDelete