Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Armed @ Work – The Whole Armor of God

I just learned (and didn’t want to know) that my boss, the company owner, keeps a licensed firearm in his office drawer. It is true that some of our borrowers get pretty desperate if we have to foreclose, but still … On the other hand, I know how desperately I need to be spiritually armed while I’m here.

In his letter to the Ephesians, Paul says: “Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes … [and] so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.” (Ephesians 6:10-12) To stand firm under attack, to remain faithful when tempted, to proclaim the hope of the Gospel when all is falling apart around me – this I want to do. So the next few posts will look at the individual pieces of spiritual armor.

But, you might say, this passage is talking about spiritual warfare, not business. I would respond that you have fallen into the common trap of wanting to separate worldly matters from the spiritual realm, which is something the Bible never does. If, as I believe, there is such a thing as spiritual warfare, then it surely takes place where we spend most of our time, which for many of us means at work.

If there is spiritual warfare going on in the workplace, then it is most likely focused on the Lordship of Christ – His spiritual enemies will work toward getting us to follow our own (or their) desires and inclinations rather than being submitted to and ruled by the Spirit within us. I don’t know how to distinguish between actual spiritual attack and the impact of my sinful nature. But in either case the result is temptation to anger, selfish ambition, pride, greed, injustice, and so on.

What Paul offers in this great passage is some protection. Just as it would be foolhardy to walk into a battle zone without appropriate protection and weaponry, so it is foolhardy to enter the spiritual battle zone at work without preparation. This is very practical stuff and hopefully I can learn something as I study and share on each item: belt of truth … breastplate of righteousness … readiness that comes from the gospel of peace ... shield of faith … helmet of salvation … sword of the Spirit (Ephesians 6:14-17).

Does my boss need a gun in the office? I hope not, though we’ve had some pretty out of control borrowers, and in truth it isn’t impossible. This is a just in case precaution, against the remote possibility of a homicidal client. Do I need spiritual armor? For certain, yes, because the enemies of God, personified in the Bible as the Satan, will most certainly do what they can to prevent God’s will being carried out where I work. I need (and you need) the full armor of God at work.

5 comments:

  1. That's pretty serious! Around here, that's a fireable offense. But for you, it's just fire (after you aim)

    Of course, you bigger point about spiritual protection is true. Most of the time, i don' teven think about i.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Did he tell you this as a kind of threat? Do you have performance reviews in his office... or yours?

    It does make me wonder about Ephesians, though. Paul's audience must have heard "sword of the Spirit" the way we might hear "M16 of the Spirit." It's funny how we can get so used to something it ceases to be startling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol no this wasn't a threat. The reality is that we have had one or two instances of threatening behavior from borrowers in default against whom we're foreclosing. It may be a bit melodramatic, but it certainly got my attention! Marcus great point about the "MI6 of the Spirit"! Bottom line, this is something I've not taken seriously enough .. good reminder I need to get on with the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work in a family business where many of the older guys (and owners) are big hunters. For a while, there was actually a rifle kept in a closet in the executive offices, and every once in a while I would hear a BOOM! as the CEO or one of the retired executives would be out shooting at geese or a groundhog out on the pond/grounds behind our office. Now we have a policy on that sort of thing....

    And on the spiritual warfare.. I've always struggled a little bit with the whole demon/satan/warfare thing, as opposed to (like you said) just the plain old badness of people. But I'm still a little scared, so I think I'll give it the benefit of the doubt - spiritual armor is alwasy the safest way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spiritual warfare is a tricky topic. On the one hand it can become quite hysterical, and rather fanciful. But on the other hand to deny it is to argue with Scripture, and also to limit God's creation to the purely physical. That there is in some sense a "spiritual realm" I have no doubt. That there is truly evil, beyond the bad things people do, I have no doubt. How that impacts me directly I'm not sure, but I am aware that evil wants to have me and I need to be protected against it, whatever it is. I guess that's where I'm coming from here.

    ReplyDelete