Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2010

Fruit of the Spirit @ Work – Peace

Peace is another of the fruit of the Spirit that is great in principle, possible on a good Sunday, and apparently quite unrealistic in the workplace. Amidst frustrations, tensions, deadlines, overwork, personality conflicts and performance expectations, where on earth will we find peace? And yet the Bible promises peace as a part of the fruit of the Spirit. If I don’t feel peace, does that mean I don’t have the Spirit?

Last Thursday saw a frantic rush involving several attorneys and a number of our staff to try to file some documents that are critical to our bankruptcy process. Tempers were frayed, frustrations were high, we were disagreeing on key elements of the documents (which totaled 150 pages or so) and it looked as though we had absolutely no chance of making the deadline, which could have serious consequences for the bankruptcy. Where was peace to be found?

I think the key isn’t what I’m feeling but the underlying awareness of God’s control. What exactly is peace? If it means that there is no conflict, no disputes or disagreements, no anger or angst, then I certainly don’t have it – and neither did Paul! But the peace talked about in Galatians 5:22 is the Biblical peace that goes far deeper – the Shalom that comes only from God. It is ultimately about our relationship with God. To the extent to which we are in tune with God, surrendered to Him, accepting of the circumstances in which He places us, and trusting Him to complete all that He has set out to do, we can have this kind of peace. All this knowledge, all this experience of God, comes from the Spirit within us. We will exhibit the fruit of peace to the degree to which we allow the Spirit to control us. (Romans 8:6 “The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace”).

On the other hand, I can’t just ignore all the stress and anxiety I feel during the work day – and I confess that at times there a great deal of it. I continue to pray for more and more release of the influence of the Holy Spirit on my life – putting these work issues into perspective, trusting and obeying. It’s about all I can do, but it is far better than feeling guilty about it and trying to force myself to feel peaceful.

Next week is patience ... oh boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment