Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Distracted @ Work

The Faith @ Work blog has gone a bit quiet recently – I confess to having been focused on my daughter’s wedding (it was awesome!) This raises the question for me about distractions in general.

I don’t know about you, but I find it pretty hard to stay focused on any one thing at work. To some degree it’s a good thing – we have so many balls in the air that if we just watched one the rest would all drop. But multi-tasking and allowing distractions to take charge are not the same thing. Multi-tasking has its own dangers – to use an IT memory management analogy – we can easily end up “thrashing” – spending so much time switching between tasks that there isn’t enough time to do the tasks themselves. A bigger issue, at least once we’ve learned some basic time management techniques, is completely non-work distractions to take over.

I love sport, and the sport I love most is cricket. At any point in the day there is usually an interesting cricket match going on somewhere in the world and I confess that I often keep track of them. This actually works in my favor while it stays in control – it is a stress reliever and quick pause from intense activity. But the risk is that I get too engaged in the cricket (or currently the World Cup) and work suffers. How do I keep this in balance?

Then there are other issues and anxieties – the broken sprinkler system that caused flooding of my back yard and a neighbor’s while we were away for the wedding, for example. Or family conflicts. Or sermons to be written or church issues to be concerned about. There is a place for each of these, and keeping balance between all of the demands on my attention is a struggle. Does my faith have anything to say about all this?

I believe the spiritual fruit of self-control comes into play here (see my post from last month - http://faithatworkplace.blogspot.com/2010/05/fruit-of-spirit-work-self-control.html). Paul says “we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:5). Even though ripped a little out of context, this speaks so well to what I need to be able to do at work. This isn’t easy, and it probably can’t be done simply as an act of the will. I need to develop the habit of seeking the release of the Spirit’s fruit of self-control, so that He in me will give me the ability to control my thoughts to focus on the Kingdom work I have been given in the workplace.

Memorandum to self: start examining distractions, offering them to God in prayer, and getting them under control by the Spirit.

2 comments:

  1. There has been a boatload of research and reports lately that talk about the negative impact of multi-tasking, due to our constant access to technology communications. It's just plain bad for our brains. Tempting, yes, but not productive.

    For me, the distraction from work is usually blogging and writing. I am such a bad boy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly this week's (June 12) Economist has an article on precisely this point, and talks about software products designed to block the Internet or other distractions for a period while we try to focus. Funnily enough it mostly seems to work for me - I had a very productive morning while staying aware of a couple of sporting events. Somehow it energized me more - but of course that's not always true and the risks are clear. Blogging can be a distraction too though ...

    ReplyDelete