Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Guest Blogger Sara Goetz – Charging For Ministry?

How can it be ministry if you charge?

I’ve realized since we started Sara Goetz Photography that I erroneously have believed that you can’t be doing ministry if you are charging money.

How could anything that charges clients/customers a solid amount of money have a place in God’s kingdom. After all, if we want to serve people we shouldn’t charge them, right?

God is showing me exactly why it is important for me to run my business as a business – with the intent of making money – instead of running it as a charity. I am honoring God through my business by not giving away my services. Here’s why:
  1. By associating a solid price with my services I can attract the people who really want my services and are willing to invest. We have a better working relationship and they are happier at the end of our transaction because we were a good fit for each other. That was evident by the fact that they were willing to pay me what I believe my services are worth.

  2. By associating a solid price point with my services, when I do offer my services gratis I am actually giving them something incredibly valuable. The blessing of receiving and giving the gift of service is automatically higher. I can bless them with premium service & products because I have a solid business that allows me to serve.The money my business earns is allowing my children to be educated in a Christian school – something we feel God is calling us to do. Running our business as a business: charging good money for a quality service, is opening the doors for us to be obedient.

  3. I cannot expect my industry to simply “gift” me the equipment, training, and experiences I need to improve my craft and business. If I gave away my services I could never improve and would eventually my skills would offer God and His Kingdom very little.

I am learning that business and faith does not have to equal giving away your services/product. I can honor God and make money.

No comments:

Post a Comment