Search This Blog

Friday, May 28, 2010

Contentment @ Work

“God has yet to bless anyone except where they are. And if we faithlessly discard situation after situation, moment after moment, as not being right, we will simply have no place to receive His Kingdom into our lives.” (Dallas Willard)

A new blogging friend Bradley Moore invited me to comment on his recent blog posting on “the Myth of Calling” http://shrinkingthecamel.com/2010/05/11/the-myth-of-calling/ and it’s got me thinking. How many of us are waiting for just the right call, so that we can be in a job with which we can be content? Or perhaps our rationalization isn’t quite so sanctified … perhaps we admit that we’re waiting for a job in which we can have fun, or be paid well, or be recognized appropriately.

The trouble is that we’re doing ourselves out of blessing! I described in http://faithatworkplace.blogspot.com/2010/03/discovering-god-work-part-2.html how it took me a year to recognize that I would do best to accept that I was where God wanted me, and that in fact He was pouring out His blessings on me right where I was. You’d think I’d learn wouldn’t you? But I still catch myself sometimes thinking “if only” or “what if” kinds of thoughts. Then today I came across the Dallas Willard quote that starts this post. Well duh! What a commentary on “be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)! Or on Paul’s “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances” (Philippians 4:11).

I think I’m going to have to post Willard’s words somewhere around my office or, better still, somewhere in the front of my brain!

1 comment:

  1. That's a great quote by Dallas Willard. I too ran into a situation where I finally looked at what was right in front of me, and found incredible blessings and opportunities there.

    It's some kind of balancing act, to have certain goals you'd like to achieve, and at the same time being completely in the moment of wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete