Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

God’s Perspective @ Work – Frustration

How many attorneys does it take to file a bankruptcy plan? I don’t know yet, but apparently ten is barely enough! Hence my frustration …

Actually this isn’t even the original Plan – it is an amendment that has to be filed today. We had nearly two months to do it, and we’ll probably just make it by the skin of our teeth. The trouble is there are so many parties at interest in this case that it really does involve at least ten attorneys. They are apparently all used to leaving things to the last minute, assuming that they are correct about everything, and forgetting that getting two attorneys to agree on something, let alone ten, is a lengthy process.

Yes, I’m frustrated. So what do I do about it? Look up, is of course the answer. I don’t know about you, but in the midst of chaos and stress, I still find it hard to do – at the very moment I need God’s perspective the most, I am least inclined to look for it! I’m writing this in a momentary pause in the pressure, as a way to direct my attention back to the Sovereign God, the One who called me to this position in the first place, the One who rules over His Kingdom. Already this is looking much more petty and insignificant than it was earlier today. I am accountable to do everything I can to get this filing completed (and it will happen), and I am accountable to continue to value and develop relationship with all those I work with, including all the attorneys! (Yes, Dorothy, even attorneys have souls!)

“Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10) is a verse that I need desperately right now. Being still doesn’t mean stopping everything, but rather holding this Spirit-given stillness and knowledge of God over everything I’m doing. Another word for it is “peace” – the knowledge that all is and will be well in God’s Kingdom, that every gift and talent and experience He has given me that got me into this job in the first place, is given solely for His service. I lay them at His feet, and commit to the front of my mind as a meditation, almost a mantra, this saying. “Be still and know that I am God!”

OK back to the panic, but in peace!

3 comments:

  1. I think that sometimes that's exactly why God adds some chaos to our life. It's His way of saying ,"Hello, remember me!" I know that I need to "look up" far more often then I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree. I don't know anybody who grows in easy, comfortable times. It's sad but we have a tendency to forget God until we need Him. So I'm thankful for a job that's about as far from easy and comfortable as I've ever been :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for that posting ! A huge help to the rest of us who go through similar situations. Thank you so much ! Blessings to you too! K

    "Ah Lord God, behold, Thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for Thee."—Jeremiah 32:17.

    ReplyDelete